Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Scrambler spark plug....

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Scrambler spark plug....

How in the world do you get to the spark plug? I poked and prodded and never could find an easy way to get to it....it looks as if I'm going to have to take the entire front plastic off----what about the key console and choke?

There is also a screw adjustment that comes off the carb, it a long flexible screw-type thing....what is it?

I'm trying to get a little more familiar with the mechanical aspect of my 4wheeler without screwing anything up....locating stuff and just looking around on it....

For a jet change is it just the screw on the bottom of the carb?

Old 07-01-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

I heard alot of people have problems getting to the plug on the 500's, makes me glad mine is a 400. I think most people do have to remove the plastic for access. The screw at the bottom of the carb (tube) is the idle adjustment screw. For changing jets, you would have to remove the bottom of the carb to access all jets, the fuel mixture screw is accessable from the bottom of the carb.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 02 Srambler 4x4, and yes your going to have to remove the front plastic to get to the spark plug. It's not really that hard, just screws and bolts to unscrew. As far as the choke and key console, unscrew the top nuts and disconnect the console lights from the back and they slide right off. It'll still be a tight fit to get the ratchet to the plug but it's doable. Hope that helps.

Old 07-02-2003, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Excellent! Thanks for all the info....I'm getting less and less daunted by this beast. I'm not too mechanical, I have the ability just not the know-how! At least I know I can turn here for sound help!!

Old 07-02-2003, 01:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Its a lot just to get to a stinking spark plug! Yes you remove the plstic like the others said. You have to remove the headlights and headlight gaurd. Remove the dash by taking out the 2 torx screws, then unscrew the nuts holding the key thingy(?) and choke. You will have to pull the choke out a little to get the nut off of that. They are both finger tight so you shouldn't have to use any tools on that. Then remove the bolts that hold the mud flaps to the plastic, as well as the the 2 screws on the side of the plastic on either side. There are also 2 screws at the front of the plastic . One on either side under the hood, which also has to be removed. And you have to remove the gas cap and rubber seal. Then you can remove the seat and slide the plastic off. It takes a little finagaling to get it around the handle bars. Now you can remove the gas tank. There are 2 bolts at the back of it. You also need to unplug the vent line at the top and disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump, you know which one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Then the fuel shut off valve, you just pull the spring back and let the valve hang, you will know what I mean when you see it. The you can remove the the gas tank. Now you will access to the carb, spark plug, and valves, when it comes time to adjust them. Be careful when pulling out the spark plug boot, it is a really long one. To change the carb jets you will need to unbolt the carb and flip it over. I think I had to rove the air filter, remove the collar that holds the carb boot to the air box, remove the carb boots, disconnect some lines and hoses (remember where the go) and there is a bracket that hold the carb to the frame. You can unscrew the screws and flip the carb. It would be easier to access the screws by removing the air box, but I couldn't get the hoses off of it. Anyway, I hope this helped you out some

Old 07-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer

Polaris gives you a spark plug remover/installer in the tool kit supplied with your quad.

It's quite easy to remove it.

Old 07-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

I was talking about getting to the plug.....which is a PITA from bigbad's description....someone didn't have their thinking cap on when they designed that....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2003, 02:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, no kidding[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I wish I had the tool kit, but I bought mine used and it didn't have the tool kit. Ive gotten pretty good at removing all of that stuff. I can do it in about 5-10 minutes. It sound like a lot, and it is!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] But, once you do it a few times, its not that bad

Old 07-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Range Rover

RookWV,

I also have a 2003 scrambler 500 and whoever designed that wasn't thinking. But you can get the plug out without haveing to take off anything. If your get a swivel socket and an extension you can get it out. I went in from the left side of the bike and just played with the wire. Once i got that off i put tthe spark plug socket in and used the swivel adapter to pull the plug. After you do it once it becomes easierto do everytime. It will take some time and patience but its much easier than taring the whole bike apart just to change the plug.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think what BigBadScrambler was describing is a bit overkill. If you just want to remove the spark plug you don't need to remove the the gas tank or head lights. I did it so I know you can. I don't think there is a diffrence between an '02 and '03 so it should be the same. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: 2003 Scrambler spark plug....