How many ATV tires will a CO2 cylinder fill ?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 03:34 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many ATV tires will a CO2 cylinder fill ?????

I did an experiment tonight. I flatted the rear tire on the 400EX (Holeshots), and then refilled it. One 16 gram BB cartridge was not enough to have a rideable tire. Two cartridges got it up to a rideable 3.5 lbs. And , a third got it up to 6 lbs. In addition, you are going to need at least one cartridge to initially inflate the tire to find the leak and plug it.

So, I figure 4 cartridges minimum for a sport bike rear tire. Another way to go might be the "monster air chuck" and 45 gram cylinders. See- http://www.innovationsaz.com/

Boy, everybody reams you on those cartridge prices!!

Old 07-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Ol
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reconranger,
Thanks, Pard. That took some time and effort (and some expense) and the result is some seriously good information to have in your pocket! My riding buddy and I darn near had a disaster this past weekend because he had a flat and didn't have clue-one about how much air one of those C02 cartridges contains.

So far, only one response to my 12v air compressor idea. Is that because the idea is ridiculous or because almost everyone here rides sport as opposed to utility and thus has no way to carry one?

Regardless, we ALL owe you a big Thank You for your information !

(edited to correct spelling)

Old 07-24-2003, 11:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 6-plys so I dont have to worry to much about my rig but the BB CO2 sounds like a pretty good ibea 3 to fill one tire aint bad considering how small they are but how do you iuse them to attach to your tire valve? Thanx

Old 07-25-2003, 02:05 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motorcycle and bicycle shops will have adapters to use the cartridges. I recommend the Microflate (www.innovationsaz.com), but it will only take the threaded type of cylinders. And, don't forget a patch kit too (www.progressivesuspension.com -I like the TRCL-2)! No good to be able to inflate you tire if you can't fix the hole!! And, remember that big utiltiy tires may take more than 3 cylinders. And, I run fix-a-flat in my tires all the time, which will fix the little holes without you even knowing it.

One reason I carry a 20oz CO2 cylinder (should easily fill 10+ flat ATV tires) is so I can help other people who might be in trouble out on the trail!! THE NEW CROP OF (CANDY A$$) SUV'S HAVE BROUGHT A WHOLE BUNCH OF INEXPERIENCED PEOPLE OUT OFF-ROADING. Just because a vehicle has 4wd, doesn't mean it is off-road worthy!! AND THEY RUN AROUND ON THOSE 4-PLY STOCK TIRES--THE HEIGHT OF FOOLISHNESS!! One kid was jumping what obviously was his parents Ford Explorer out in the dunes. Later we found him with a broken rear axle. (Somebody from San Diego told me that people will RENT SUV's and take them out to the desert, just to rip around in).

I find people out in the desert with no water, no shovel, no high-lift jack, no way to plug or inflate a tire (www.powertank.com), and no clue that you can air your tires down for way better traction. And why bring tools when you don't even know how to use them? Don't get me wrong, this is great for off-roading. This means way more pro off-road voters. These folks just need to get educated about survival.