ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Kawasaki KLT110 rebuild

Old 10-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki KLT110 rebuild

I'm into an E-bay adventure...Trying to restore an Kawasaki KLT 110. Ended up with two part Trikes 85' 84'. Close to enough parts to rebuild one. I've heard the KLT110 Tranny has common problems with shifter being striped or not working. Is their anybody out there who knows the history of this? How to check for this on my two motors both not on the frame yet?

I'm going to need some help from a KLT 110 owner as most this adventure is coming to me in parts.

Old 10-22-2003, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 1985 KLT250 and have not had any shifter problems with it, but the 110's may be different. If you could describe the exact problem your are refering to I can check my service manual, but again I don't kow if the 250 is different. I will be glad to help if I can. Pretty reliable old machines though. Mine is for sale if anyone is interested.

Old 10-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi dirtbikejunkie-

Thanks for the comeback. I'm a 3 wheeler newbee, for that matter a ATV/ATC newbee.

I picked up a 85' KLT 110 without an engine. It was in pretty good shape with most parts but repainted in camo. It looked like someone had started to rebuild the trike. Only problem it didn't have an engine. Owner said he had bought it in this shape that the tranny had gone bad and Pervious owner tossed the engine with mounting Hardware.

At the same time I saw an 85' engine on ebay listed as "Has good compression"...So my ebay adventure began... I ended up winning the engine with some other choice parts in the catagory of Good Juck. The owner had most of the missing items (so I thought) to make mine whole. The engine does seem to have good compression but the shifter foot lever does not seem to grab the splines on the shift axle. Not knowing what a working shifter lever or shaft should look like... It appears as if the foot lever was worn internally and the lever splines were striped. At least I have an engine.

So I started looking for a shifter and few other engine related parts (air box and exhaust). So I happen upon another ebay 84' KLT 110 parts trike on two flat tires and missing one. It had a engine! the shifter is loose but was able to shift but ... The indicator shaft was broken off with the red indicator gone. At least I have an air box and exhaust.

Since then I found two more ebay KLT110 motors both with shifter problems. I didn't buy these. The first says the tranny was working but the lever is welded to the shaft. The other said the shaft was stripped.

I was just trying to find out if there's a common tranny problem with this model. Or if these are examples of normal old 3 wheeler problems? Hopefully with a common repair. If the shifter is welded how do you get to the tranny parts to repair?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2003, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

If the shift lever is welded to the shaft it would be impossible to remove the shaft from the case, but if you aren't concerned about taking apart the trany then it shouldn't be a big deal. The shaft is splined as is the shift lever, and usually the shift lever is made out of a softer metal than the shaft so the shifter will strip out before the shaft. Transmission repairs are pretty costly because you have to split the engine cases, unless you do it yourself. I personally would not be concerned about the lever being welded on because if you end up having transmission troubles it will probably cost more to fix the trany than the trike is worth. As for the shift indicator mine does not have one, and I haven't seen one. My shift pattern is 1-N-2-3-4-5 I don't know if yours is the same or not. I really haven't helped much but if you need anything else I will try to help you out.

Good Luck!

Old 10-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 1985 Klt110, and yes it is a little stripped, and slips from time to time i just replaced the bolt because the solines arent too bad on it. im just wonderin when it will go next

--------------------------
2002 Suzuki Quadrunner500
1985 KLT110
1984 ATC200S

Old 10-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

splines*

Old 10-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

QUADRUNNERMIKE/ Dirtbikejunkie-

Thanks for the postings- Good to know someone else has a Kawi.

I don't have a problem opening up the tranny just don't know what I'm looking for.
Once I strighten out the lever problem I'm going to swap the two best shafts.
So I took the shift levers off both my motors. 1. was stripped badly and chewed up.
2. The other the screw head broke off and streads are seized. Looking for the correct
Drill and tap.

QUADRUNNERMIKE- Do you happen to know on your K110 Carb. Where the three lines go?
I got mine in pieces w/o hoses. I think the larger in gas in, But don't know where the bottom line and top right angle line goes?
Thanks

Old 10-26-2003, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer

the bottom is the overfill line it dosent connect to anything, ane the angled one it the breather, or vent line, and dosent attach to anything either

-you have two of these machines right? my carb is a little funky- do you have a spare float assemblt or even a spare carb you would be willing to part with?

thanks, mike

Old 10-28-2003, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Mike-

Thanks for the info-on lines hook-up.
Will leave the two ports open.

I have parts of two bikes. I actually have one complete carb and lower body part of another for parts. I haven't had a chance to open this partial to see if it even has a float. It's missing the top cap. Would be willing to part with it if I can get the other carb to work. This might take me a while since I haven't finish the motor install yet with the tranny issues.

The shift lever splines are striped on my best tranny so it looks like I'm going to learn how to remove the shaft and replace better one from my other tranny. I drilled out the broken screw in the shift lever and had to put in a helicoil.

Old 10-28-2003, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

would you be willing to give possible carb parts for free (i pay shipping costs)?

good luck on that tranny im here if you need

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kawasaki KLT110 rebuild