Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Hey Tork, have a problem with fouling at idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Tork, have a problem with fouling at idle

Tork, read your post regarding wear on needle jet and needle leading to fouling at idle. I've read this from other places on the net. I have a 2000 AC 250, bought it used from a guy who used it for snow plowing side walks at his resort. This amounts to lots of idle and quarter thottle use - the things I've read eat needle jets on atvs. Been trying to solve plug fouling problem that occurs at idle to 1/8 thottle use. Plug fouls beyond use after several weeks of use. Checked the needle circuit - 1/4 to 3/4 thottle - plug burns grey. WOT test plug burns grey. Run at 1/8 thottle - plug turns black and sotty. Tried putting in a smaller pilot jet - but still black at idle and fouling. Also changing needle position dosn't help. Guys at the shop adjusted valves - no help. They also tried several smaller main jets - no help (plugs were burning white!). Dosn't seem to have any air leaks - boots look good. I really think its the needle jet thats worn. The guys at the shop say you can't replace the needle jet - would have to get a new carb. I found replacement needle jets for this carb (BST31 - 135A) at brownsleisureworld.com. My question is can the needle jet be removed and if so how? I thought about just replacing the needle, but from what I've read, would probably not help much as it's the soft brass in the needle jet that wears oblong. Anyway, other than the fouling problem and eating up spark plugs - the cat runs great through out all circuits. Thanks again, Tork, for your insightful posts and to the rest of the users of this forum. PS - I'm riding at 7000 to 9000 ft, 127.5 main jet, 3rd needle position, 137.5 pilot at 2 turns out, float adjusted to factory, freshly cleaned air filter.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your dealer must not be very familiar with carb work or they like to sell carbs, you are correct that the brass tube will show the most wear. I would bet you get the needle and tube replaced and your problem will go away.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quit reply, Tork. Does the needle jet have to be pressed out to be removed, or does it srew out?

Old 02-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Tube will push out, remove your main jet, slide and then push out through top of carb. When installing new one be sure to line up with cutout in carb body, Good Luck let me know how you makeout.

Old 02-27-2004, 01:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again, Tork. One last question. There are two needle jets listed for this carb: P-6M or P-8M. Which do you think would work best at the altitude I'm riding?

Old 02-27-2004, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

I would stay with stock needle jet, should be P-6M. A/C recommends 130 main jet and E-clip in 3rd position for altitude of 5000 ft or above.

Old 02-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, Tork. I just finished ordering the parts. I'll post results to this thread.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tork, just finished installing new needle jet and needle. Still running a little rich in the pilot circuit but not as bad. I had to turn up the idle speed about one turn. Still some black soot on plug at idle to 1/8 throttle. Didn't mess with the fuel mixture screw or the pilot jet. I don't know if going back to the stock 145 pilot jet would help. Seems like that would richen the pilot circuit. Didn't put in the 130 main yet. Wanted to make one change at a time, but will need to put it in as plug is white at full thottle. Anyway, I won't know if this will solve the fouling problem until I ride the bike a lot. But the fact that it wouldn't idle with the new needle jet and the same settings tells me the old jet was worn and letting a larger drop of gas pass. Let me know if you have any other thoughts on this issue.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

I would put 130 main jet in and try first, 145 pilot would make it richer, I will try to get pilot specs at work tomorrow. Sorry I haven't responded quicker, I've been gone on a youth group ski trip and just got back. Have a lot of catching up to do. Talk to you later.

Old 03-29-2004, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply, Tork. Glad to here you're helping out the youth. How was the skiing? Most the ski areas here in Colorado received 8 inches of snow last night. Windy and cold today. I'll put that 130 main in and let you know how it runs.

Quick Reply: Hey Tork, have a problem with fouling at idle