Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Scrambler 500 no power to the front wheels

Old 03-15-2004, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Scrambler 500 no power to the front wheels

My son-in-law just purchased a 2003 Polaris crambler 500 HO. The second time out the following problems were noticed. The electric start did not seem to work but the unit started easily with one pull and seemed to have a strong battery. 2. The reverse overide seems to act as if it is held in all the time. There is no power to the front wheels. Could these problems be related. Any suggestions on where or how I should do some troble shooting. Both of us are not terribly mechanical but we can usualy figure stuff out if we are pointed in the right direction.

Old 03-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Do you get ANY noise from the electric start at all?

Was this machine bought used? If it was, the previous owner MAY have overridden the override button.

Does the AWD light come on when switched on? Do you have power to the hubs? Is the hub fluid full?

Old 03-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the response. This was the second time out. The first time the Override switch preformed as expected. The starter makes no sound and is almost as if it's not there. There are also no lights when this happens. Then you start by hand and everything seems to work. When getting stuck we noticed that the front wheels were not assisting at all and I beleive the AWD light was on. He didn't like having to be pulled out by my Honda.

The problem seems to be intermitent as far as starting and lights go but the AWD and Override seems to have happened and stayed that way. We don't mind the Override not working but we are wondering if this is affecting the AWD not working. I read that by disabling the Overdrive this can make All Wheel drive unavailable. If you or someone knew how this is done maybe we could figure it out. This is a used unit not bought from a Polaris dealer and we are some 5 hours from the place of purchase.

Old 03-16-2004, 08:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

As for the starter and lights, it sounds to me like a loose or dirty/corroded battery connection. Especially if it is intermitent like you say. For the 4wd. Double check to be sure that there is fluid in the hubs to begin with. You never know? Sonce the AWD light was on, be sure that you are getting power to the hubs. Then be sure that you are magnetizing the hubs. When I overrode my override, I had to do a little soldering to make the 4wd work in reverse, since I unpluged the override wire. Here is how I did it on mine. Open up the front nose piece there you will find a rectangle rubber female spade connector. There is 2 of them. The one you want is a grey wire with an orange stripe. Unplug that wire from the connector (REVERSE OVERRIDE IS NOW GONE). To get it so the 4x4 works, look at your reverse override button. The wires you want are the grey wire with a white stripe and a red wire with a white stripe. Find where they come down in the nose piece. Take a little bit of the insulation off of each one. Now take a wire and splice it between both wires. Solder them and tape them up good. Now have 4wd in reverse and no revlimiter when in reverse without having to push in the button. Your reverse light and the AWD still work like normal too

Old 03-17-2004, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. we'll check that out in the next 48 hours.