Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rhino Engine noise

Old 08-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino Engine noise

We have just purchased a Rhino 660, loved the idea of being a 2 seater. Very disappointed with the amount of engine noise, it's very noisy. Anyone else have this problem? Also always seems like it wants and needs to go faster, like it should be shifting to a higher gear. We have alot of dust here on the ranch and just going down the driveway feels like you've been in a dust devil. We have the windshield and roof on also. Just trying to figure out if this is all normal or if we may have a bug or two in ours. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer

When you have the windshield on it and you are in dusty conditions, the dust wants to wrap arpund the windshield and blow into the face of you, and your passengers, if any. I read about this in the issue of dirt wheels when they reviewed the rhino, and they had the same problem with dust that you are having.

As far as the engine noise goes, the only reason you can hear so much noise on the rhino is cause there is virtually nothing to deaden the noise. Since it is the same engine as the grizzly, the grizzly is actually a little bit quieter than the rhino cause there is more covering the engine on the grizz.

To solve the speed problem, get a cdi out of a grizz, and take the stock rhino one off. The stock speed on the Rhino is about 35 yes?? With the grizz cdi, you can go about 50-55. The dirt wheels crew also did this in their test of the rhino.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Old 11-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

They sell a dust kit that basically fills the open spaces between cab and the bed to prevent it from drafting up. Really all you have to do is fill that open spaces and the air passes underneath it instead of up in between the cab. For the engine noise... I am in the process of a design that will fix that you can see it at onebadrhino.com I haven't built the site yet but I will up and running here in the next month or so. I will be showing my 06 rhino as it is goes through its phases of being accessorized.

Old 11-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

if you're going to ride cold weather, get the whole cab kit, i believe they also make a cab heater for it...problem is, it costs aloooootttttt.