ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Honda ATC 70 throttle problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda ATC 70 throttle problem

Hey everyone, I have a 1985 Honda ATC 70. It starts great, but whenever I go to give it gas it dies. I'm only 15 and don't know a whole lot about these engines so any explanation and suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK My 70 cc... My first mini bike Z50...14 or 15 years old.. fun days ! Thanks for the reminder son![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

70cc is the offspring of the early 1960s- s65cc step thru scooter, same engine outfited.

Let's see if this helps us come to a solution
Put the choke lever in partially choked position just a little until it starts to sound like it is being choked out.
Then back off a little. Leave the choke in this position
Let's see if this makes some kind of a difference...

Raise the trottle ever so slightly...
If it revs a little then flatens out or breaks up I would:

Check Air cleaner to see if it is clean or the element is missing or the air cleaner tube has fallen off or has some air gap... torn ripped or just missing.

Another part is that the metering needle in the center of the trottle slider has fallen off its J-C clip.

These mini engines smaller than the 90cc can not take a direct rush of air into the carb!
For some reason it does not create enough of negative air presure across the main jet vent where the metering needle rides.
Also when the slide is moving towards the open position and does not lift that needle it prohibits any fuel mixture to be created.
Main jet may be clogged!

At this point I would recommend you personally speak to a Honda Dealer close by!
You may inspire the owner with the knowledge that you have just obtained here and he may need someone in the shop to clean up the showroom or maybe start you into working on bikes, which happened to be back in the days!

If you have trouble understanding this have your dad or mom explain what I have transcripted here!

Old 02-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

to me it sownds like a dirty carb it prob needs a good cleaning

Old 04-06-2007, 01:57 AM
Range Rover

Ive found that whenever my boys 70 started running funny - it was always the damn points.

They are a real pain to adjust - being behind the rotor and all - but when they are adjusted right - it always ssemed to run very well.

You need to build a little battery+light w/ alligator clips to 'tune' the points.

(clip) <---|battery| ---- |Light| ----> (clip)

to tune it - you just need to pull off the side cover with the pull starter, and you will see the points under the rotor.

You can buy a tool (dratv.com rocks for ATC70 stuff) to take off the rotor if you need to replace the points.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

i figured it out, but i don't know exactly what was wrong. it was something with the choke lever. when I pushed the throttle and gave it gas, the needle/pin in the middle of the choke lever wasn't moving even though the choke was off. all i did was turn the idle up and rev it really high for about a min. can someone tell me specifically what was wrong?