Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Please help!!! 1999 Scrambler Oil change in crankcase

Old 05-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Polaris Scrambler Oil change in crankcase

I recently bought a 1999 Scrambler,
Engine was siezed.
I removed the head, cylinder, and piston(Piston Rings was broken)
Noticed there wasn't any oil in crankcase, I have the cylinder machined and new piston.
I have the motor reassembled but have not started it yet.

The oil injection system goes directly to the Carb and Seemed to be in working before I bought it. I was able to us it for a weekend then I bought it and it seized up shortly after that.

Wanting to not have a repeat. How do make sure there is oil in the crankcase?

Old 05-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!!! 1999 Scrambler Oil change in crankcase

Does that model have a separate transmission or is is all integrated in the engine. I believe it is a separate tranny but am not too familiar with the Scramblers. I have an Xplorer and Trailblazer. If it's like mine, the tranny is separate so there is no oil level in the trans or crankcase to check. You do need to check your oil pump though. The best way to do this is to put premix in your gas tank 40:1. Then remove the oil line that hooks into the side of the carb. Put the end of the oil line into another container. Once unhooked, you should be able to start it up. Once it starts you should have oil coming out of the hose that you just unhooked from your carb and into the container. If you don't that means the oil pump isn't working and needs to be replaced. You shouldn't have to run your engine for more than a few seconds to get oil to come out of the line. This test doesn't garuntee that you are getting the correct fuel/oil ratio, but if there is oil coming out of the line when your engine is running at a pretty good pace, you should feel pretty confident that your oil pump is working properly.

Hope that helps.