Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

06 Raptor 350.Valves?

Old 07-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Raptor 350.Valves?

I went on about a 90 mile trail ride on saturday when we stopped at a gas station along the way I noticed the there was a ticking or kind of chattering noise coming from the what sounded like the top end of the motor.This bike hasnt been ridden a hole hell of alot (maybe 20hrs or so) never really been beaten on besides the drag races down the street once in a while but other than that nothing major.So iI was just wondering what that noise could be?I checked the oil it's fine and when the bike is cool it does not make the noise as a matter of fact that was the only time i've ever heard it.Any help greatly app. trying not to take it to the dealer (to expensive).The bike is still under warranty until sept.Would somthing like that be covered?Or would they just try to put it of on me?

Old 07-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

Its pretty normal to have a ticking there when the engines been roasted.

If the noise goes away the next day but returns when you have ridden hard , and you get the noise more frequently, its just the valve clearance.

It will need to be checked, easy job to do, I do mine every 6 months now, but in the beginning with the new engine I did it two times in three months.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks but how do you go about checking and or adjusting the clearance?

Old 07-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

How to check and maintain:
You will need:
17mm socket and ratchet set.
10 mm socket.
5mm allen wrech.
feeler guage set that has stock sizes (6-8 thousandths on the exhaust, 4-6 on the intake valve)(different if you have aftermarket cam, i set mine to what my engine builder says .003 intake and .004 on the exhaust)
BIG flat head screwdriver
4mm wrench
now youre ready.

Take off the crankcase timing mark cap, cam sprocket engine sidecover thing(on head), and valve covers.

Now while you have the socket on the bolt that is holding the cam sprocket on, spin the engine over with that while looking in the timing check hole on the crank. wait till the T (tdc) mark on the mag. lines up with the line on the case. The look up at youre cam sprocket and make sure that lines up with the line on the head. (make sure its a compression stroke).

Now while everythings lined up, take the 10mm and loosen the jamnuts on the tappits on the rocker arms. This will allow you to adjust the tappits up or down.
take youre feeler guage (stock specification clearance) and put it between the tappit and valve stem. then tighten the tappit down with the 4mm wrench and tighten the jamnut. Once done with both intake and exhaust valves, make sure jamnuts are TIGHT, and make sure you can fit the feeler guage you used back under the tappit but noting smaller or bigger.
Then put the valve covers, head side cover, case timing plug, and the tank back on and fire it up.

Unknown terms you might like to know (nooBs):
Tappit-called something else by yamaha....the bolt that is in the end of youre rocker arm once the valve cover is off....when engine is running it pushes down on valve stem...not hard to find.

Jamnut- the locknut that holds the tappit in place when tightened.

Feeler guages-like diff. thickness little paperlike stainless steel things used for measuring small clearances....will get pics of stuff next time i do mine.

Engine tdc: TDC means TOP DEAD CENTER. Its when youre piston is at the highest point in the combustion chamber it will ever get.

As for just checking them and possibly not having to adjust them:
Instead of loosening jamnut so you can adjust the tappit, just line all the markings up so the engine is tdc and then stick the specified thickness feeler guage between tappit and valve stem. make sure the right one fits. then see if a size bigger or smaller fits. if not, then youre in the clear.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

And if it's not that loud dont worry about it the 350 motor TICKS ALL THE TIME noisy it's normal and if you dont feel good about checking them take it and have it done better safe than sorry....

Old 07-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

it's a fine line between valve train noise and a ticking valve.. you really have to know the difference... warriors and raptor 350s are notorious for having noisy valves

Old 07-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

tHANKS ALOT GUYS THAT JUST ABOUT TELLS ME EVERYTHING i NEED TO KNOW.......I LOVE THIS SITE!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent write up on the valve adjustment 2FAST4URASS

Old 07-22-2015, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 350 warrior valve jamnut

What size and thread pitch is the jamnut on the valve adjustment screw