Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TRX300 starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX300 starter problem

OK everyone, got a problem with my starter that I can not figure out and hope you all can help.

My starter runs continiously on my 1993 TRX300FW.

Here is what I have replaced:
battery
solenoid
starter

When I have the positive and negative battery cables connected to my battery the start runs non-stop. If the ignition is in the off position the starter runs with out starting the motor. If I turn the ignition to the on position the engine cranks and the start continues to run. While the engine is running and the starter along with it I press the start button, I can hear the brand new solenoid clicking on and off. If I disconnect the solenoid the starter still runs.

I bought a wiring harness of Ebay from a 1992 TRX300FW and switched out all the components in the wiring harness and the problem persists. The only thing I have not done is replace the start button or ignition switch.

At this point I am not sure what is my next problem solving step. Is there another relay barried in the frame from the starter to the battery?

Old 10-05-2007, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trx300rider was your quad diong this before you replaced the wiring harness, ? If the solenoid and starter you replaced were new , there should be a small alunimum relay box that hook's to one of the battery terminals ; i think it is hooked to the positive cable or at least that's where it was on my old 86' Honda TRX 350 Foreman ! This relay can cause problems with the starting and charging system , but i wouldn't rule out the starter button or the ignition switch either ; i can't say for sure if this is the cause , it could be the start button or in the ignition switch ! I had a wire become corroded and loose that made the engine stall when the headlight was on , it was the wire that goes from the relay connection on the battery post to the ignition switch ; the relay could be bad just an idea ! Matbe someone else will jump in with more help than i can , i was a small engine tech for over 20 yrs. but it was mostly lawn and garden equipment ; i started doing my own work on my Honda and 93' Suzuki LTF4WD 300 KQ after getting ripped at the Dealers on labor ! I hope this will give you a place to start on getting your quad fixed , good luck there are so many part's that can short out by something as simple as corroision from water to crossing the battery termanal's when replacing a battery ; or even a wire rubbing again't the frame that can cause all kind's eletrical short's ! ....................

Old 10-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, Williebee, I think at this point I am going to take the red plastic fender covers off the back of the quad and start tracing wires. I will start with the positive terminal first!

Old 10-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Something is shorted together, either two wires or contacts. I had the same problem today and I unhooked the battery, took the switch housing apart, and cut one of the wires going to the switch. Put the cables back on the battery and determined that I had a bad switch or the contacts were stuck. lubricated the switch through the openings with a dielectric ( non-conductive ) oil and pressed it several times. Soldered the wires back together and covered with shrink wrap and it works. I will however try to find a new switch to keep this from happening again in the future. Hope this helps.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found my solution, when I was about 15 or 16 I apparently did not put all the wiring back correctly when changing my battery. I took the solenoid out of the loop and had a direct starter to battery setup. It only good me 14 years of actually taking the time and pulling apart the frame to look at the wire paths and figure it out. I will not miss the days of kick starting my ATV. Now if I could kick my own butt for doing this...

Old 01-27-2008, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't kick yourself for a simple mistake we'll all only human , and we all make mistake's sometime's ; and i'm glade you found your problem without having to take it into a Dealership for repair it would've cost you no telling how much in labor alone !

Just think of it like this you found the problem on your own and it didn't cost an arm or leg to fix it yourself , and with you posting what it was that was your problem you may save many members new to the forums that have the same problem ; save them from being taken to the cleaners by a Dealership like so many other have !

So thank's for letting everyone know you got it fixed , sometimes people forget or are imbaressed to tell someone when it was something that they didn't do right ; when they rewired the harness at your age you are showing that you are a man by posting the fix !...........