Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

what does a {CDI} do?

Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does a {CDI} do?

I have a 1999 scrambler 500 4x4
And I think that I my have a problem with the {CDI}
What does it do? And why does it cost so much?

Old 10-21-2008, 05:38 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

A replacement of the points and condensers.

A "Capacative Discharge Ignition" unit holds the current from the generator, raises its frequency to thousands of volts and then fires it like a shot through the spark plug lead at precicely the right time to keep your motor running. A CDI unit incorperates a solid state logically programmable chip allowing unprecedented control over engine ignition timing throughout the engines entire rev range, as well as limiting the eventual speed of the motor under agreed conditions.

What could be thought of as a programmable electronic distributor.

Previously this job would have been done by a mechanical distributor/capacitor, with centrifugal weights and or a vacuum diaphragm advancing the spark on the power stroke.

A CDI unit promises to allow the motor engineers to time precicely when the spark plug will fire, at any point in the rev range, to provide the maximum power output under all predictable conditions. It also allows for efficient limiting of engine revs at the red line or in top gear.

JK. its a copy past.

If you have no spark look for the cheap stuff first. .all connections good and ignition Coil. Maybe the Stator,but that thing cost more than the CDI.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

definately trace all wires and die electric grease them
also clean the stator out real good

Search this Thread