Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Guide for plowing technique?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guide for plowing technique?

Got a Glacier II with a 48" blade a while ago (before reading the general opinion of them here) for working on a dirt road. Little did I think I would be using it to plow snow in the Seattle area. Went out plowing my street today, about 10-12 inches. Had some good success, but felt I was more pushing the snow around in circles than really clearing things. Anyone got a pointer to techniques for ATV plowing or have any tips or tricks that make things easier? Any help appreciated by this plowing newbie.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the snow is that deep try taking it off in layers. Leave the balde up maybe 4" and plow everything then plow again with it all the way down. If it's somewhere you can do it, angle the blade all the way to one side and let the snow roll off the end. Then you just push it 2' farther over each pass.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Do your first pass as far over as you can get, if you can't go all the way down do like frank said & take off top what you can (at full tilt). Then plow the next into where you just were, kinda like windrowing hay. This works good for when putting it all to one side. I rarely have my blade straight except around the mailbox, house & garage.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Good pt. JF! I am a newbie too. I hope to use mine, even on this East coast
Mid-Atlantic area, LOL. I think we are way over due and have had lots of
rain and precep. Now its dipping around 23degrees with colder wind chill,
if it stays consistent with the next storm front I think we will be seeing the
white. I want the powder, too much too often the mixed soupy crap around
here causing treacherous road conditions and the "case of the stupids" for
most drivers in our area. Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow (around here, LOL).

Well I guess today is the official first day of winter right?

R'

Old 12-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good point upnort. If you angle the plow and hammer it the snow flies way off to the side instead of just nudging it over. I plowed my street lie that a few times.

I think yesterday was the first partial day and today is the first whole day of winter. Not sure, but my snowpile looks like the end of winter it's so big. Where I am I have to leave the blade straight most of the time and push the snow to the back fence. I don't have side shields and the snow rolls off so I have to go over and over it. One more tip is to stack the snow on top of the bank so you don't run out of room. I like lift the blade as I hit it and it shoves the snow up on top while the front end climbs the snowbank. It's 4-5 feet high right now.

Get a rubber flap on top of the blade. It keeps powder from flying up in your face, then when you push into the snow bank it adds 4-5 inches of height to the blade. It's soft enough to flip up on impact but stiff enough to pack the snow.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Starting with the blade raised some is a good point as well as rolling everything to one side.

Another point would be to plan out what you want to do. As in be sure you select places that you can pile it if need be.
Then drive pushing snow to those points. In some of my locations I need to push up to the area, Stop then back off. Change directions as in turn 90 degrees and usually with a straight blade mound the snow in that area.

Mounding snow is another item. You either have to push over an edge or build a pile.
Be sure you set your piles back far enough they can grow up and out.
Now as you go to mounding it start with a good push, then each time you bring up a new load to push up on top as you approach the pile lift your blade and start building a ramp to the top. The first few times that pile is going to be soft, so watch how far you go into it. Each time you work it up the hill it gets firmer so eventually you will be able to ride up it.

It kind of all depends on what you have to work with, how much you think you are going to need to move and of course how meticulous (read artistic) you want to get.

The best part, be safe and Have Fun. You will be amazed at how much snow you can move!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

Now I wanna go plow some more tomorrow. I may have to go plow the next street over.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the tips!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Had my first plowing ov the season yesterday but cut it short as it was -12 with -25 windchill.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Where do you get these Rubber Flaps to attach to the plow blade? Would I need one
for the bottom too?

Thx,

R'

Old 12-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

The above answers are good but the best idea is not let it get that deep....Go out and do it a few times and it makes it easier in the long run...

John

Quick Reply: Guide for plowing technique?