Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN REAR AXLE REMOVAL

Old 02-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN REAR AXLE REMOVAL

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THE REAR AXLES . ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED . THANKS .

Old 02-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

Remove rear hub
Remove upper carrier bolt. Tip hub outward and remove shaft from carrier.
Pull sharply outward to remove shaft from transmission.
Install a new compression ring upon assembly .

Old 02-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanx for the information . I have one more question on this . On the end of the axle there is a clip on the transmission side what does that do ? You have helped me the most on this project . Once again Thank You !!

Old 02-16-2009, 03:30 AM
Pro Rider

it holds the axel in. also if you use a pry bar and put it betwwen the housing, and the shaft. and pry gently on top and buttom you can also get them off.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you really dont need to replace the C clip unless there is something wrong w/ it. i would make sure the rea and axle is clean and maybe put a antiseize agent in there so it will come apart as easy after being in there for a long time. imo

Old 02-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for the help . The boots got torn up and mud got in and ruined the u joints . I have purchased 2 brand new complete rear end axles to replace the old ones . I have never had this machine apart so I want to know a little info before I start . Not new to wrenching just like to know what Im getting into . I have had it all apart but wasnt sure about prying on anything to get them out . I saw the clip on the new ones and thought that I would have to take the transmission apart to get to the clips . I am sure glad I stopped and asked for help . Thanks again !

Old 02-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi I saw the pic of the clip in your photo gallery . By the way nice toys !! Im not sure if we are talking about the same clip . The one I am referring to is located at the end of the shaft that goes into the transmission . it is at the very end . I bought complete axles . This thing is going to drive me nuts ! Thanks for your help !

Old 02-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WKbeachbum

Hi I saw the pic of the clip in your photo gallery . By the way nice toys !! Im not sure if we are talking about the same clip . The one I am referring to is located at the end of the shaft that goes into the transmission . it is at the very end . I bought complete axles . This thing is going to drive me nuts ! Thanks for your help !</end quote></div>

if you are refering to my pics of the clip, no its not the same as that clip is on the inside of the cv joint. when you take apart the hub and what not to slide out the cv joint from the trans. it will come out hard because of the clip your seeing on your new ones. sometimes if they have been in there awhile and you've gone thru alot of mud/water they tend to come out hard. you may have to use pry bars(lighty prying as its only alum. your prying agaist)while your trying to snap it out. remember you just dont pull on it as you have to snap it to compress the C clip.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info . Probably putting to much into this but I dont want to screw something up and make it more costly than it already is . Axles $580.00 , starter $300.00 It adds up ! By the time im done could have bought a new one . Polaris are the best in my book . I have givven it the onion for quite a few years without any problems .

Old 02-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so the clip will come out with the axle and when I put the new one in the clip will compress in the groove and go in through the splines . is this right ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN REAR AXLE REMOVAL