Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

gas leaking out of vent on baja 50cc carb

Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas leaking out of vent on baja 50cc carb

Hi guys, new here..the info here helped me get my daughters 50cc baja quad running great again, but now the problem is back, quick story..

bought it used, ran great, then started needing the choke on all the time. Found that there was gas leaking out of the vent hose on the bottom of the float bowl, I thought that the screw above the hose was supposed to be tight so I closed it off to stop the leak, and the quad wouldnt run right.
After reading the info here I found that the screw I tightened was for the high speed control so I backed it out a couple turns and the quad ran great again. I had to silicone the screw on the outside to keep it from vibrating and moving since there is no spring to keep the setting from changing.
Now once again there is gas leaking out of the vent tube, looks like the bowl is just draining out the vent and I cant get the quad to run without the choke. Any suggestions on what to check or what may have broken in the carb? Is there a traditional needle and seat in there that may be stuck?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

the float is sticking. take the carb apart and clean the carb, check to makes sure the needle valve isnt stuck. so basically you need to take the carb apart to find the problem..its a easy job.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

ditto

Old 07-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default still gas leak

Hi there I am new to this too. My kids where recently given a baja 50cc quad. We had to epoxy the gas tank because it was broken and then we discovered that there was gas spilling out of the carb. Took it apart and cleaned it. Ran good. Tried it again today and gas started to leak out of the carb again. One of the screws is already stripped out. Is there anything else other than take the carb apart again??? Also is this a part that is available? I live in Quebec, Canada.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Range Rover

stripped screw where? in the float bowl? you can usually get needle nose pliars on the head to turn them loose, if not the sears craftsman screw extractors work surprisingly well!

you have to clean the float needle and valve, its obviously not shutting off the flow of fuel into the carb, i had the same problem, only i broke my float itself trying to be stupid and "adjusting" a plastic float tab lol

Old 07-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

The screw comes out it just doesn't seem to want to stay. It's 1 of 2 that hold the bowl on. I hear it running around the house so maybe they re-cleaned it. It was fine last night and still this morning but then just started to leak again. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You could try this to see if its just trash or float value problem... crank atv and get an pair pliers and pinch off fuel line until the engine starts to surge and run out of fuel then release pliers before engine dies... if its trash or water blocking the float value from sealing then will work BUT if its continue leaking than like the others have said take carb back down and clean... this method works for me IF its trash... what this does when engine surges for fuel it will suck out whats there and re-seat float value... Also if you have already put an new float value in and it,s still leaks..You prolly need to take value lapping compound or tooth paste and put it on an Qtip in an drill than buff the tarnish off seat... this will give the float value an good clean seat to seal off.... BUT if you use lapping compound make sure you flush out good cause the grit of compound could cause engine damage.......