Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What is the best drive belt OEM or after market

Old 06-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
Go with oem, I upgraded my 700 to the 800 belt, much stronger belt, been on there a long time , no problems, I tried a dayco , machine creeped and smelled like the belt burning, put oem on and no problems.
Should be replacing the crush washers when you rebuild the clutch, and aligning the clutch. Never had a problem with a Dayco belt ever, and if one did blow on my sleds Dayco was right there stepping up on the warranty. And here's the best part, line up 3 Sportsman 800's for the quarter miler, one with a Poo belt, another with a Parts Unlimited, and mine with a Dayco, and I have the other two by 2 lengths minimum. Second run is with my wife on back, and still beat the other two, even with less miles on the their machines, oh yah, stock tires and clutch set ups, all three machines had rebuilt clutches and brand new belts. I clean my clutches about every 500 miles, same with oil and belts, these 800 cc and up machines and torque critters, you need to make the motor your friend

Old 08-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

I had the problem on my 700 of shredding belts(everything was lined up right, just using it for what a tractor should be used) and i put a heelclicker (dayco) for a 700 ranger and I had no problems. As a-mator-of-fact I busted the primary clutch before i destroyed the belt. I have a commit clutch now with a epi clutch kit(cant remember what configurment i used but i didnt go by their guidlines)(kinda made mine own arrangement) and I have another heelclicker ranger belt on and still use it for a dang tractor without problems.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

So how much are the OEM Polaris belts (for Sportsmans)? I think my cuz said he paid $80 for his that seems a little pricey?

I like these videos, good info.

YouTube - Polaris ATV Maintenance & Repair Tips : How to Check for Clutch Belt Wear on a Polaris ATV

Old 08-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

60-90... depends on the dealer, some love the whole markup deal.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

All I posted this in my Knocking Noise thread but in case its missed and since we are talking OEM belt here. Question about my cousin's 700 Sportsman OEM belt inspection today is:

His clutch belt seems real loose like sagging. Inside the belt cover housing we found some knicks and some rubbing. Funny thing is he only has 206 miles and 48 hours. The belt DOES NOT look worn or frayed or heated, like in anything we seen from YOUTUBE install/replace videos. But it is a little sagging.

Does anyone know if this is "Normal" or should the OEM belt be pretty tight?

Thanks for the help!

R'

Old 08-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer

they will have a little sag but not abunch (sag is needed for for complete disigangment)

Old 08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Cool, thanks Red Neck, does anyone have any pictures of what it "should" look like. We go NO HELP from the repair manual shame to say. Just checking it make sure there is NO issue with the belt.

Again thanks for all the great info.

Cheers,

R'

Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer

if it wasnt raining i would go take mine apart and take pics... since it takes a few seconds to take the cover off... ill take some pics tomorrow and put them on here. (mechanic shop shut down were i worked so im bored all the freakin time, and takin any chance at turnin a wrench lol)

Old 08-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

You know, that is the great thing about this site... everyone is able to share their engineering experience and for the most very helpful

Old 08-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Amen Nick! Thanks Red Neck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the best drive belt OEM or after market