Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

98 Warrior Won't Start

Old 06-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Warrior Won't Start

Hello,everyone.Several weeks ago I bought a 1998 warrior 350 and I really like it except for one thing-it won't start.At first,sometimes when I hit the start button it would just click,but it always started after a few tries.It gradually got worse and now it won't start at all.I tried crossing the starter relay with a screwdriver,but it just sparks and won't turn over.(yes,I had the key turned on).There are two other relays under the left rear fender behind the starter relay and the clicking noise is coming from the one farthest to the back.Is this something common so that someone could tell me exactly what is wrong or could there be multiple problems?Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

unbolt the wires to and from the solenoid all the way to the starter and use wd-40 and a wire brush or sandpaper and clean all the wires,contacts,bolts up and make sure theres no corrosion,rust,dirt built up anywhere, also check the batteries wires, is the battery pretty new and charged?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Range Rover

i would try what 91warrior357 said. i had the same problem in the past with my warrior. here is what i would do. i thinking it is the battery. so i would jump it from another quad if you have one. i jumped mine from my toyota. if it turns over good then i would think it would be the battery. dont worry car is 12 volts just like your quad. i done it many times. if it does not start, well you need to get out your electrical meter and find the problem. i prefer to jump things. so i would make a jumper and jump strait from your battery to your starter and if it starts, well i would work my way back and find the electrical problem. but funny to say i just bought a new batter for my warrior 2 days ago at sears for 49.99 on sell and one for my raptor for 59.99.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys,thanks for your replies.I don't think it's the battery,because when it started acting up,the times it would start it started strong.Like on Monday I started it twice and drove it around the yard,shut it off for 5 minutes and then it just clicks.But I'll check it out tonight just to make sure.And I'll go over all the contacts and wiring and see if there's something amiss.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Range Rover

98warrior
well i would say it is most likely electrical. if it clicks then i would bet it is electrical and not mechnical. matter infact i just got done rebuilding the carbs on my wifes warrior. i also decided to replaced the batter cause it was clicking. i jumped it from my raptor 600r and it did not click during the jump. the battery was 4 years old so i decided "time to replace the fu*#ing battery". but like posted i would clean all contact points, that poster is so correct.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

im thinking its your battery. my motorcycle would do that same thing. it gave me a head ache, if i let it sit for 2 days i would go out and try and start it but it would not start just click, then i would sit there with the key in the ignition and keep trying eventually it would start, dont know why it wouldnt start the first time.

i would check your battery with a volt meter.

get you a battery at walmart for $40

Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by StngGT350
i jumped mine from my toyota. if it turns over good then i would think it would be the battery. dont worry car is 12 volts just like your quad. i done it many times.
i cant say i have not done this but it is bad, car batteries push more amps then the small motorcycle or atv batteries, so if you do it make sure you dont keep the cables on for long after you get it started.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by webbl19
i cant say i have not done this but it is bad, car batteries push more amps then the small motorcycle or atv batteries, so if you do it make sure you dont keep the cables on for long after you get it started.
its not harmfull, there both 12v circuits, only time it is harmfull is if the vehicle usually a big truck with a high output alternator like a 15.2 volts or so, just make sure the vehicle is turned off when you jump it and you should be fine, but if you have a car or little truck then its ok as long as it just stays at idle.

current is determined by the voltage, divided by the resistance of the load, its the device resistance (starter motor in this case) which determines the current draw, not the theoretical max of the battery. if more voltage is applied, more current is produced, because the internal resistance of the starter doesnt change.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

it has nothing to do with volts it has something to do with amps. im not saying it will explode right then and there but leave the jumpers connected to a car long enough and see what happens. That is why you charge motorcycle batteries at only 1-1.5 amps. Car batteries push at least 40amps or more depending on the size of the battery.

all alternators push 13-15 volts no matter if its a truck or car. i can go out to my cobalt or blazer i bet they are measuring close to the same thing.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

just make sure the truck is not running and the quad will be fine, the quad starter was designed to see 12.6 volts max, and by using internal resistance, it pulls a safe current. but if the voltage is high (like having a truck alternator putting out 15.2 volts, it will draw too much current. Youll even hear it...itll spin much faster than normal, as long as you dont keep cranking it over and over with no resting periods and you take the cables off when its started your fine, even with the truck running...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Warrior Won't Start