1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Odes 400 quad idle and shift problems

Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odes 400 quad idle and shift problems

Hi, I need lots of help I purchased a Odes 400 atv 2yrs ago and have had nothing but problems since im finally down to these 2 problems.
1) It idles very high I have tried adjusting it with the idle screw attached to the carb and have had some luck but it seems to go from one extreme to the other either to high or to low. Any suggestions would be great.
2) The other problem is the electronic shifter will not work I have replaced the unit on the handle bar because the electronic starter also quit working. After replacing that unit they both worked fine for a month or so and then went out to start and it will not shift off the electronic shifter but it will shift with manual gear shifter. I unfortunately cannot ride it with the manual shifter as it is not comfortable for me in the size of the shift lever. Plus I just want it all to work properly.
I finally went out and purchased myself a new honda foreman this past weekend just so I have something I can ride but still want to fix this one. And I am very much a learner on working on these things so please don't get frustrated with me if I ask a lot of questions.

Thank You

Old 09-14-2009, 03:15 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum waterbrat!

1) I would check for a vacuum leak around the carb manifold..i do this by sparingly (its highly flammable) carb cleaner around the carb and its manifold while its running...If the idle speeds up or it dies youve found your leak...

2) No idea about the shifter....

Good idea buying the Honda...

Old 09-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for you help I have since replaced the spark plug ran the idle screw all the way in and backed it back out until it is finally idling good I did try the carb spray first as I had read about trying that on another thread. The shifter is still a mystery to me as well from what I have read it might be an angle sensor but I cant find it on this quad. I looked at the shift motor on my honda and can see where the angle sensor is I think lol but it is not the same on the odes so i have emailed the company asking them if they have any ideas or if they can send me a detailed diagram of the motor and wiring.
I will be a mechanic by the time I gete this all fixed lol.
Thanks again for the help any other ideas anyone has I will welcome.

Shannon

Old 10-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Odes 400cc

I have two odes 400cc ATVs the motor is an exact clone of a 2006 TRX350FE. You can buy a Clymer repair manual for the Honda trx350fe and it details troubleshooting the electronic shift. The Carb you may want to search craigslist for a mechanic the carb is overly sensitive and extremely hard to get dialed in but the machines are great once they are. If you need parts bmsmotorparts.com is a great source for most, any engine parts you can use honda

Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just bypass the electric shifter module.here is how

2) The other problem is the electronic shifter will not work I have replaced the unit on the handle bar because the electronic starter also quit working. After replacing that unit they both worked fine for a month or so and then went out to start and it will not shift off the electronic shifter but it will shift with manual gear shifter. I unfortunately cannot ride it with the manual shifter as it is not comfortable for me in the size of the shift lever. And I am very much a learner on working on these things so please don't get frustrated with me if I ask a lot of questions.

Thank You[/quote]

I have bypassed the shift module and mine works good without it.

1. Disconnect the shift motor wiring going to the electronic module.
2. install a DOUBLE POLE DOUBLE THROW (momentary) switch on the handle bar next to your thumb area. (I use a toggle lever type with a water proof boot verses a push button type, much cheaper)
3. Be sure to install a 30 amp fuse to the switch power feed.
4. Connect the shift motor wires to the switch and you are now capable of shifting up and down via this switch. (the switch provides voltage and polarity change that controls the rotation of the shift motor which determines gear position.

mine has worked great for over a year.