Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFB250(Timberwolf) Rear-End Durability

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFB250(Timberwolf) Rear-End Durability

I've been cruising around looking for a replacement rearend for my 1994 Timberwolf. The ring and pinion and axles are shot.
This is a 94' but the rear-end died in 1998 and it's been sitting.
So I've been looking on ebay and emailed a bunch of salvage yards and no one has the needed parts used(so far).
I notice lots of "complete bearing kits" for the rear end, a guy selling rebuilt gearcases for $500ish on ebay, and I even found two other YFB250's with the same problem for sale as "parts atvs".

The same ATV was sold for a lot of years and there is a robust used part market for it...as long as you don't need a used rear gearcase.
WTF gives? Is the rear-end on these ATV's weak?

If ANYONE knows where I can get the guts to the rear gearcase for less than the repaired ATV would be worth - I'd love to hear from you!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

i dont know but the best thing to do is search up cheap atv parts and compare prices. Watch ebay cause they will pop up. As far as the rear end. They are not weak. Lack of maintenance is what happens. They are known for getting water in the rear oil from seals leaking. After every ride the rear oil needs to be checked and bearings checked. If the bearings are kept good then the gears will hold up forever unless you are power rocking it all the time. But sometimes if a bearing blows out then all it takes is a few feet of driving and it will strip the gears.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

Diff's etc. are many times a problem on many utility quads. Why? Because people run them through water, mud and sand in all temperatures with heavy loads and many never check or change the oil.

Some quads have more water than oil in the gear cases.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Nondem
I've been cruising around looking for a replacement rearend for my 1994 Timberwolf. The ring and pinion and axles are shot.
This is a 94' but the rear-end died in 1998 and it's been sitting.
So I've been looking on ebay and emailed a bunch of salvage yards and no one has the needed parts used(so far).
I notice lots of "complete bearing kits" for the rear end, a guy selling rebuilt gearcases for $500ish on ebay, and I even found two other YFB250's with the same problem for sale as "parts atvs".

The same ATV was sold for a lot of years and there is a robust used part market for it...as long as you don't need a used rear gearcase.
WTF gives? Is the rear-end on these ATV's weak?

If ANYONE knows where I can get the guts to the rear gearcase for less than the repaired ATV would be worth - I'd love to hear from you!
Im having the same problem man i have a 97 and mine went out probably in 08-09 ring and pinion both shot. i've found a few ring and pinions on ebay and around the internet cheapest was around $300 for pinion and ring $600+ for the whole differential which im not about to buy. im looking into the bear trackers and big bears of the same year and hoping they'll fit without my custom fabrication which i feel as if im going to have to do. good luck to you and if you hear anything else and find one cheap lemme know

Old 10-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default I have a 97 too

I have a 97 too, i got it for a hundred bucks, but it had blew a seal and the guy kept riding it and well you know the deal. You can push it and it makes a knocking noise. I feel ya on the $500 diffs on ebay, theres no way i am putting that kinda money into a used rear end and it could have been done the same way . I think i am gonna buy a ring and pinion for $279 and a bearing kit from ebay , i am not 100% but i am thinking about it still.
good luck , keep me posted.
I will be running amsoil gear lube in mine when ever i do get the thing fixed.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need buying advice.

I'm thinking about buying g a YFB250, and the rear pinions need to be replaced. So I'm debating whether or not I should get it. The bike is only $250.. But it's a few hours away, 100 bux in gas, and then the parts, and I don't know if it is fit to eat.. It's my first quad.. So any advice would go a long way and be greatly appreciated...
Thanks.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lauralee Grouchy
I'm thinking about buying g a YFB250, and the rear pinions need to be replaced. So I'm debating whether or not I should get it. The bike is only $250.. But it's a few hours away, 100 bux in gas, and then the parts, and I don't know if it is fit to eat.. It's my first quad.. So any advice would go a long way and be greatly appreciated...
Thanks.
I'd honestly look for something else. If the condition is that bad, it probably will need more work. I hate to buy something that I already know has problems. Its worth spending a little money on but you can easily end up spending more money than its worth.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by AJ Moore
Im having the same problem man i have a 97 and mine went out probably in 08-09 ring and pinion both shot. i've found a few ring and pinions on ebay and around the internet cheapest was around $300 for pinion and ring $600+ for the whole differential which im not about to buy. im looking into the bear trackers and big bears of the same year and hoping they'll fit without my custom fabrication which i feel as if im going to have to do. good luck to you and if you hear anything else and find one cheap lemme know
I did some looking and i still cant tell if the diff wil interchange. What i really want to try is a timberwolf diff cover and a moto 4 diff. The only difference i see with the moto 4 is its clocked wrong. Anyone tried anything like this?