Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton Viper 90r no spark

Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton Viper 90r no spark

My daughters Eton Viper 90r just stopped running.... New plugs and air filter but still nothing. I was checking the arc on the spark plug and you can see it but it looks real weak. I was thinking CDI box or the coil at for the plug. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dan

Old 04-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

yeah CDI or coil are two things to check. also the stator. there's a test that you hook up an ohmmeter to your stator outputs and get the reading. there should be a specific reading for your machine, i'm unaware of it, i apologize. if that reading isn't right, then your stator may not be working properly.

however you mentioned you can see a spark. in that case the stator is working at least. i would test the stator anyway, then you can determine if its functioning correctly. if it is, then try to find a known good CDI to swap in the quad. then if spark enough to start, your CDI was bad, if no spark, the coil is probably to blame.

also, the killswitch system could have a fault, as well as the harness itself.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

SundiroSunray90,

My neighbor's tether killswitch (which has never been used) somehow worked its way loose enough to not allow the bike to start. After about an 40 mins he was going over all the connections and found the culprit.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input... This quad does not have a tether kill switch. I am trying to figure out how to test the stator

Old 04-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

here is a test to check the stator. scroll down to etondaddy's second post. you will need an ohmmeter.

[no spark on eton] - ATV Riders Forums - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Polaris, CanAm, Arctic Cat, Kymco ATVs

in fact, you have an eton as well, so the results should be similar.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Eton 90 won't start

Hi all. My little boys Eton 90 will not start. I am thinking it may be the gas or possibly a kill switch. I bought it from someone and do not have the book. Can someone please help me identify where the kill switch is? Thanks.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 05KAWASAKIPRAIRIE
Hi all. My little boys Eton 90 will not start. I am thinking it may be the gas or possibly a kill switch. I bought it from someone and do not have the book. Can someone please help me identify where the kill switch is? Thanks.
Does your eton 90 have reverse? The wiring on the reverse equipped models is quite a bit more complex than the non-reverse models.

You can download the manuals for eton quads for free at www.anythingatv.com. You can also download just the wiring diagrams, though the diagrams are also imbedded in the manual so I'd recommend just getting manual and printing it out. There are some troubleshooting guides on the anythingatv site as well.

First thing to check:

Do you have spark? Pull out the plug, hook it back up, and hold the threads against the engine block while cranking the starter. Look for spark at the plug gap.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. It is getting gas and there is a spark. I will print out the manual and work on it when I get home. If I find anything, I will post. Thanks.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

anything atv has pictures and instructions and the specs for testing coil stator etc as some one has already mentioned look around on the site pretty useful

Old 05-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

Is the spark plug wet?..If not try putting a splash of gas in the carb (with the air filter removed for access) and see what happens..The carb may be getting gas but that doesn't mean it is getting into the engine....The spark isn't overly big on these anyway so that may not be the problem...I replaced the stator on our viper last year due to a weak looking spark and it turned out to be a non related problem that was causing my issues..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Eton Viper 90r no spark