Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help Bad Fuel Pump??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Bad Fuel Pump??

My 2000 Polaris 325 magnum wont start. Sat for about 3 weeks. I have fuel,all switches are on, i have spark.

I sprayed a shot of starting fluid in the air cleaner and ran for a minute just off the fluid.

Question could it be a bad fuel pump? I pulled off the three lines going to the fuel pump and the two lower ones had fuel going to them. The upper hole of the fuel pump no fuel coming out of it. I think thats the line that goes to the carb?

Can anyone help not sure where to go. BTW how do you tell if its a bad fuel pump?

Thanks for any help at all.
Rick

Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The upper line you pulled off is the vacuum line(hooks up to the pump outlet that has a "P" on it),the other two should have fuel! One comes in from the tank,the other to the carb! Sounds like the pumps ok. Just pull the carb,clean the jets,replace the needle an seat if gummed up,and put a little marine Stabil in the fuel to preserve the gas so you wont have to go through this again!! Pumps are one of the last things that go out,BUT you can check it out by pulling a vacuum on the "P" vacuum line going to the pump,when you do fuel will flow on the hose to the carb! The hose on one side of the carb is the vacuum line,the other the fuel line and the on off valve separates the main fuel line from the reserve! OPT

Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!! When i get home tonight ill check out the carb.

Thanks again

Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
The upper line you pulled off is the vacuum line(hooks up to the pump outlet that has a "P" on it),the other two should have fuel! One comes in from the tank,the other to the carb! Sounds like the pumps ok. Just pull the carb,clean the jets,replace the needle an seat if gummed up,and put a little marine Stabil in the fuel to preserve the gas so you wont have to go through this again!! Pumps are one of the last things that go out,BUT you can check it out by pulling a vacuum on the "P" vacuum line going to the pump,when you do fuel will flow on the hose to the carb! The hose on one side of the carb is the vacuum line,the other the fuel line and the on off valve separates the main fuel line from the reserve! OPT

Is it hard to remove the carb and clean it or should i take it to the dealer?

Old 08-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Not hard,just depends if you want to do it or not!! Just remove the carb support (may have to lift the tank) loosen the carb clamp,remove the vacuum hose first(right side of carb) pull carb out enough to remove the lower left fuel line.Pull the carb out from the intake,you can leave cables attached! Turn the carb to where you can access the bottom. Remove the 4 float bowls screws,there will be a big round main jet and a pilot jet in a recessed tube(takes a small screw driver) make sure both of these are clean and you can see daylight through them(especially the small pilot jet) An air compressor is handy with an air blower! Plus see if the float assy is pulling up the float needle and isn't stuck. This is just basic instructions,you can see when you open the carb!! OR if it scares you let a dealer do it!! OPT