Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

03 ltz 400 intermittent spark

Old 11-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 ltz 400 intermittent spark

hi, i was riding my z400 the other day and it died as if the key was turned off, it wouldn't start back up after, i brought it home and checked for spark, i only would have spark when i turned the key on and hit the starter button, it would spark once and then it wouldnt do it again until i turned the key off and tried to start it again, it will do this repedetly and never spark more then once, anyone know what might be wrong? thanks!!

Old 11-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default Help

I don't have any experience with the z400 personally If this was me i would check all the wires to stator make sure there all still connected, maybe came off riding. If you know anyone else with a running z swap cdi's. Get a new plug could be the old has a crack in porcelin and wont fire consecutively?

My good buddy had a z400 and the flywheel bolts broke and flywheel was able to be spin. he bought new hardend allen bolts from hardware store.
I don't know if this is a common problem or not but maybe worth a shot to inspect and see whats up.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK, ill check it out, Ive also heard something about maybe the key way shearing, so i guess i have a few things to check while im there, i have already changed the spark plug and that didnt help, i need to run through the wiring some more but i didnt see any visible problems, does anyone know where there might be some known or common places to have issues with the wiring? at the time this happened it was not wet out, and i was on a smooth trail, there shouldn't have been anything to provoke it to shut down, any more ideas?!?!?!?! thanks

Old 11-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

problem not fixed!!! im stuck here, anyone have any ideas??

Old 11-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hey

Did you check the stator and flywheel bolts to make sure there all there and tight?

If that checks out ok i would presume cdi or pick up coil.
Does the lt400 have a clutch switch to start it do you have to have clutch in ?

Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey pboost, i did get the side cover off just now, they are broke!!!, sorry i didn't look right away, it just didn't sound plausible, one of the bolts broke off and trashed the stator, the other five werent broke but they were all loose!!! guess ill get some new ones and some loctite huh? lol thanks alot, ill post if she up and running after the new stator!!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default quad

Hell ya dude. I mean shitty that happend but hell ya that was the cause. I would go to hardware store and look for hardened bolts of like grade 8 or higher if you can. That way that doesn't happen again. Also some blue loctite should help ya too.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing what happens.

Oh make sure you get any old bolt pieces out of stator and make sure no metal flake is left anywhere use a air compressor to blow it all out if you can.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

oh yea got it all cleaned up already lol, got a ricky stator coming and i went to fastenal and got the bolts, grade 12, im happy to hear that is all it was actually, i told a white lie earlier, it wasnt my bike went it broke but i was there went it happened, it was a friend of mines, the same thing i said happend tho, but he took it to a dealer and they told him the crank bearings were out, lol dont know how they figured? but they offered him $75 to buy it from him and tried to get him to buy a new one, he was looking at getting something anyway, but $75 is an insult, so i bought it from him for $675, found engine was fine and it had this spark issue well now that its figured out it got one hell of a cheap quad, lol

Old 11-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Trailblazer
Default mmm

Oh liars these days!

Old 11-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

lol sorry man i just figured it would be easier to explain it that way but i guess it didnt matter did it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 ltz 400 intermittent spark