Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Riding 4wheelers on blacktop in Ky

Old 04-20-2001, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got stopped by the cop's today for riding on a blacktop road.He told me 4 wheelers are not allowed on roads unless you own property on both sides of road and then you are only allowed to ride 2 tenths of a mile.Anybody know the laws in Ky?

Old 04-20-2001, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

Well, here is how I get Kentucky's 4-wheeler laws. I've never heard that one about 2 tenths of a mile before, so I can't say if that is true or not.

One law is the one that you could ride it if it was a piece of farm equipment. You'd probably have to put a bunch of crap on it, then your quad would look all ugly, and unless you own a farm it would just be silly.

Another is one that I'm not for sure is a written law. During the winter in emergency situations when the road is impassible with a car, and you have no other means to get out then it is ok. I know they let us do that during the winter here in Knott county, but elsewhere I wouldn't know.

Old 04-20-2001, 11:39 PM
Range Rover

I really don't know what the rules are where i live I hit the black top and try not to get caught.They caught me once and they just give me a warning.

Old 04-21-2001, 12:38 AM
Range Rover

i think in kentucky u can cross 2 lane highways keeping your wheels as adjacent to the road as possible. and you can drive on the shoulder of the road for 2 tenths of a mile. im not sure about the property thing though.

Old 04-23-2001, 03:06 AM
Range Rover

i have done much research on the laws in the state of ky. i am in western ky and have fought with frankfort about the licensing of atv's according to state law. some countys do and continue to license them but others do not, it is mainly at the county clerk's discresion.

the cop was full of you know what. you can ride across the road at any point to cross and you do not have to own the property. it is clearly stated in the law and i have it in hand. if you want a copy i will show you how to get it. you can ride anywhere on two lane roads in daylight hours, if you have a drivers license, one head light and two taillights burning, plus you say you are doing farm work. nothin else is required. what is farm work? could be checking on cows, looking at a field, or checking on equipment, anything you can make up related to farm work qualifies you to ride anywhere on two lane roads in the state of ky. i am still trying to get laws passed that will allow licensing of four wheelers and if you would like to help let me know. bbbowen@hcis.net