Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Radiator blow back, and water is coming out of the reservoir!!!!

Old 06-22-2001, 08:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, you seen the subject line. So what do you think could be the problem. It's blowing coolant out of it and it's getting all over my leg. I just put a new head on, with a new gaskit, and torqued every thing down. I even rechecked, and it is still tight. I went out and rode it thinking I may have just overfilled it, but there is alot of air coming out of the reservoir. What should I do, I'm getting tired of working on this thing, and not getting to ride it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2001, 08:37 PM
Range Rover

Since you just put a new head on lets start there. Is it a factory head or aftermarket? Its definately leaking compression into the water jacket. I would take the head back off and check to see that the water jacket matches up with the jug. Should be pretty obvious once you take the head off where the trouble is. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Old 06-22-2001, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

It's a stock head. I bought it used, but it was in almost new condition. My old head had a bad spot on it, and caused my gaskit to blow. So I just got another head. I've already took it off to inspect it, but no signs of a problem. The head is as smooth as new. And the jug is smooth, and I cleaned it well before applying. Cranked it up, and the problem still persist.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] What should the head bolts be torqued at? I first tighen them at 25lb. then at 45lb. Is 45 enough, I'm affraid to go any more.

Old 06-23-2001, 07:45 AM
Range Rover

400fn Sport,

Did you check to see if the head gasket is installed correctly? There is a tab on the gasket that goes towards the front. If this is misaligned or placed backwards this could cause the coolant pump to puke coolant into the reservoir.

The nuts for the cylinder head should be torqued to 17-18 ft-lbs.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-23-2001, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Mike is right!

I did a build about a year ago and had a little mix-up on head torquage and mine did the exact same thing. Mine was blowing coolant about 6' in the air out of the little hole in the top of the red cap on the coolant overflow.

I believe that the gasket also has "up" inscripted in it as well. Be sure that the little tab is towards the front of the quad, not back towards the seat. 18 FT. LBS. is the correct torque. .

BE SURE THAT YOUR WRENCH IS FT. LBS. AND NOT IN. LBS. If it is in. lbs, then multiply the 18 by 12 and you should get the correct torque to use if you happen to have the IN. LBS. Torque wrench. There is also a specific pattern that the service manual suggests that you tighten the bolts. Just be sure not to tighten them all in a row. Tighten them on opposite sides; run the quad for about 30min. and then recheck the torque.

Good Luck,

EC

Old 06-23-2001, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Did you purge the air out of the cylinder head as you were refilling the cooling sytem ??
If there's enough air trapped to allow a hot spot to form on the top of the combustion chamber, it will boil the coolant and puke all over like you describe.
Simple things first.

Old 06-23-2001, 02:08 PM
Range Rover

Yes, I've got the gaskit in the right position. And I'm going out here in about an hour to try to purge the coolant out of the cylinder head. But I think that still may not do it because I had it running long enough to eliminate most of the bubbles I believe. But I'll try anything. If it don't work, then I will disassemble, inspect it again, and reassemble. And use the correct torque. Thanks to all who are helping.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] With out you all, I would be paying a dealer about $90 an hour. And I'm trying my best not to do that.

Old 06-23-2001, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Try bleeding the radiator...

Jack up the front end about 6 inches off the ground and run the machine for 10 minutes, this will relieve the system of air.

Good luck!!!

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400